Saturday 3 May 2008

Get Traffic to Your Web Site

Getting traffic to your web site is key to your on line success. I keep getting told this and it's true.

If you spend a fortune on building your web site and joining various programmes, it will be money wasted unless you can get traffic (visitors) to your web site.

One of the ways I am told, to improve search engine rankings is to add a "site map".

What's a site map?

As a newbie to all this, I had to find out more about the subject and quickly learnt that a site map is basically a list of all the links embedded in your web site which will enable easy navigation by any visitor. It is also something the search engines use when crawling your site to index your pages. This is one of the most important things you need to ensure high page rankings.

As I have a low budget, I searched the web for any free trials etc. and came up with this site:


The programme is totally free and requires no download. You just enter your sites url and it generates the site map for you. Not only does it generate a site map in xml format but also in various other formats to enable you to submit it to various search engines.

I did all this with my site http://www.2nd-income.biz and submitted the xml file to google.
Then I looked at the text format file and found to my horror, that practically all my pages had the same title. Not much use as a site map for my site visitors!

If you remember, in an earlier post, I mentioned I had had my site SEO'd. It transpires, that the SEO service I paid for, was for the index.html page only:( so now I have to revisit my site and SEO all my other pages.

If I hadn't used the programme at http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/I would never have known and been wondering why I am still not getting a page rank.

Thank you XML.


No comments: